The Network started in Montreal in 1995 where it grew to some 350 members, adherents and attendees. It met infrequently after 2002 then re-launched in Ottawa in 2011 at a ceremony held at the Cube Gallery in Westboro. Since the launch we have been actively working behind the scenes with local fundraising initiatives, national campaigns. and now focusing on growing the reach of Network in all professions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- NB2 promotes members’ business as well as their educational and professional accomplishments through referrals, its website, social media platforms, recommendations, and awards.
- Frequent Networking Sessions facilitate connecting, supporting, mentoring, and having fun with other accomplished Black women who work in government, private industry, academia, their own businesses, and/or their professional practice.
- NB2 gives back financially. It also supports community events particular those that affect women.
- It provides a platform for and a directory of our public speakers and presenters.
- Our student-members have ready access to a broad base of leading professional Black women.
- The NB2PW Community Partnership was established in 2011 and is the only known loyalty program in the history of the Ottawa Black Community! Upon presentation of their membership card, our paid-up members can receive discounts, coupons, rewards, or special considerations from Our Community Partners. Networking works!
Monthly in the form of a Mixer in the Market © or a special event such as International Womens’ Day or Mothers’ Day celebration, Dancing Under the Stars©, our NB2PW September Marquee Event or the Annual Christmas Cocktail.
Every month we either host a Networking Session or an Event. Either way, there are always opportunities to network. Our Networking Sessions are organized so that attendees get to meet and talk with each other in an meaningful manner and first-time attendees are quickly made to feel welcome.
- Under Membership, find the membership category on that best suits you; fill out an application and pay the corresponding membership fee by cheque, Paypal, or e-transfer (email@example.com).
- Join a team- (That is one aspect of the bidirectional sharing portion of our mission):
- Marketing & Communications (Karissa & Olivia)
- Social Media (Erika & Karissa)
- Members’ Services (Vanessa & Michelle)
- Events & Planning Programs (Ann-Marie, Lola, Yvonne)
- Treasury (Marlene, Jennifer)
- Registrar (Marlene, Jennifer)
- Secretary (Gisele, Taisha)
- Product and Sales – Branding (Debby)
- Honorary Patrons’ Liaison (Sarah & Debby)
- Plus: Blogging, Community Partnership Loyalty Program, Sponsors, Swag Bag Donations, Assist on day-of and much more
NB2 is what you make it. We are a group of highly dedicated volunteers who are also accomplished professionals and sometimes busy moms. More hands on deck = lighter work-load and more get accomplished.